Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Lagunitas Sucks Brown Shugga' Substitute Ale Review


I have to come clean about some things before I review this beer. I'm not much of a beer drinker, and I'll tell you why. I want to get the most bang for my calorie buck as possible. With most beer in the 4-5% of alcohol by volume, beer is at the bottom of the drinking totem pole, as far as I'm concerned. So I chose this Lagunitas ale solely on it's alc. 7.85% by vol. content.

Also I must disclose that although I enjoy beer, especially at a summer BBQ, because of it's low alcohol level but high calorie/bloat factor I don't often partake in this beverage.

So all that being said, I was in the mood for a beer with the hubby so I grabbed this cold 6 pack from the Safeway beer section and headed home to enjoy...I hoped.

I tend to shy away from Ale's, but occasionally I find one I like. This one ranks somewhere between Ehh and ok.

Like most pale Ale's I found it on the bitter side. But it had an enjoyable bite. The higher than normal alcohol content helped a lot as did my relatively empty stomach. I got a nice lite buzz after my second and so didn't drink 3 or 4 (which is my norm when partaking in a cold one) So bloated feeling was minimal. Only big downer was that the last sip of both beers was extremely bitter.

If I was headed to a BBQ this weekend I would still be picking up the standard Modelo Especial or Blue Moon (Valencia, one of their tastier seasonals is out right now, just saying...) but if when I arrived this was in the cooler, I would know what I was in for. And I wouldn't cry about it ;p

No comments:

Post a Comment